Nashville Bombing Investigation Yields Suspect

Share on twitter
Share on facebook
Share on reddit

Following a suspected suicide bombing on Christmas Day in Nashville, Tennessee, federal and local investigators appear to have identified a 63-year-old local man, Anthony Quinn Warner, as a person of interest in the case.

According to Metro Nashville Police Chief John Drake, there could still be other people of interest, however authorities with knowledge of the case who spoke with CNN have stated that Warner is the primary suspect, as it is his remains that are believed to be at the scene of the crime. 

Further evidence the FBI are using to place Warner at the scene is his previous residence at a home on Bakertown Road in Antioch (a city 11.6 miles from Nashville). Public record stated that Warner owned the home until November 25, 2020, when he signed a quit claim deed giving ownership of the home to another party. According to a Google Streetview from 2019, there had been an RV at the home that appears to match the image authorities posted when they asked the public for information about the vehicle. Because the RV was destroyed in the blast, law enforcement has stated that cannot be sure that the RV is the same. 

CNN’s analysis of the image also indicates that the RV has been around the property since at least April 2013, and two neighbors interviewed by CNN stated that they had seen the RV parked at the property during the summer. FBI spokesman Jason Pack told CNN that federal investigators were at the home Saturday conducting “court-authorized activity,” and would continue for the foreseeable future.

The explosion itself occurred at 6:30 am after a local resident said she woke up to what sounded like “an automatic weapon.” and called 911. Upon their arrival at the scene, police encountered a “boxy white RV” next to an AT&T transmission building broadcasting a warning that an explosion would occur in fifteen minutes. As the police worked to evacuate surrounding buildings, the warning changed to three minutes and began to play “Downtown,” a 1964 song by Petula Clark. 

Due to the police’s quick actions, when the explosion did go off, few were injured and no one was killed. The police could do nothing for the surrounding properties, and the explosion inflicted damage on forty one buildings, destroying one and also knocking out cellular service in much of Tennessee, Kentucky, and Northern Alabama. 65% of those states’ cellular service has been restored as of Sunday.